- Chandos Publishing
China's Publishing Industry: From Mao to the Market
- Qidong Yun
- Chandos Publishing
- 9.02 X 5.98 X 0.67 inches
- 0.95 pounds
- Language Arts & Disciplines > Library & Information Science - Administration & Management
China's Publishing Industry presents a portrait of the contemporary Chinese publishing industry in its political and commercial contexts, and analyses how its structures are influenced by the state and by market forces. Starting with an overview of the publishing business in China, this book takes a long view of the profound changes in China's publishing industry, covering a period from the 'socialist transformation' under Mao to the more recent reforms, such as the conglomeration and corporatisation, of the industry. The book investigates the impact of the changing social, economic and ideological environment on the structure and operation of the publishing industry, and explores how the burgeoning digital publishing business is shaped by the broader social context. It reveals that the process of commercialisation in China's publishing industry has been marked by persistent tensions and contradictions, and demonstrates, through case studies, how these tensions have impacted everyday practices.
Dr. Qidong Yun is Associate Professor in Media and Communication Studies. He holds a PhD from Loughborough University, a Graduate Certificate in Statistics (with Distinction) from Sheffield University, an MA (with Distinction) in Publishing from Oxford Brookes University and a BA from Wuhan University.
He has experience in publishing industry, and had taught communication and publishing courses at Shantou University before joining UIC. His research interests include political economy of media, new media studies and digital publishing. His monograph, China's Publishing Industry: from Mao to the Market, was published by Elsevier in 2018.
- Political economy of media
- Digital media and society
- Digital publishing
- Quantitative social research methods
- PhD, Media and Communication, Loughborough University, United Kingdom
- Graduate Certificate (Distinction), Statistics, Sheffield University, United Kingdom
- MA (Distinction), Publishing, Oxford Brookes University, United Kingdom
- BA, Library and Information Science, Wuhan University, China
Source: United International College - Beijing, China
Community reviewsWrite a Review
No Community reviews